The UN-backed war crime tribunal has notified Im Chaem, a former mid-level Khmer Rouge cadre, of her alleged crimes and asked the suspect to prepare for future indictment.
Im Chaem, former head of Khmer Rouge security center in Battambang’s Preah Netpreah district, where an estimated 40,000 people died under the regime, received a surprise visit by a Khmer Rouge tribunal investigation team earlier this week.
“They informed me about my rights to answer their questions or remain silent,” Im Chaem told VOA Khmer by phone on Thursday. “I told them that there is nothing much I can answer.”
An investigation team led by investigating Judge Laurent Kasper-Ansermet read the notification order to Im Chaem at her home in Anlong Veng district, Uddor Meanchey province on February 28.
Im Chaem, 66, is a suspect in the controversial case 004, and prosecutors say she was involved in a “common criminal plan, or joint criminal enterprise,” along with a second suspect, Ta Tith, to “execute all perceived enemies of the [Khmer Rouge] regime.”
“The charges are contradicting to the truth,” said Im Chaem. “They have accused me without any reasons. I cannot accept it.”
The two-page order dated 24 February, which was read to VOA Khmer later, also advises Im Chaem to go to Phnom Penh to seek a legal defense team.
The investigation team also sought to meet Meas Muth, another suspect in case 003. But he was not at home at the time.
“[They] came for what if there was no interest to the nation or to me,” Meas Muth asked.
Lars Olsen, a spokesman for the UN side of the court, declined to comment, saying that he had no new information on cases 003 and 004.
However, sources close to the court told VOA Khmer that Kasper-Ansermet had plans to investigate at the crime sites and meet all the five suspects.