PHNOM PENH —
Authorities say they are looking into an alleged threat made to an opposition official over Facebook.
Khieu Sopheak, spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, told VOA Khmer Wednesday that Interior Minister Sar Kheng has ordered the national police to investigate the threat, which came over Facebook from the account of a policeman and included a picture of a pistol and bullets.
The threat was not only to Kem Sokha, vice president of the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party, “but some other leaders as well,” Khieu Sopheak said.
The Rescue Party last week sent a letter to the Interior Ministry, requesting an investigation into the threat, which originated from the Facebook account of Peng Vannak, deputy police chief of Phnom Penh’s penal crimes unit.
Peng Vannak denied sending the threat, and he has so far not been questioned by police, officials said.
Yim Sovann, a spokesman for the Rescue Party, said they are waiting to see whether the police “wish to open a real investigation or not.”