Washington -- Cambodian officials at the Khmer Rouge tribunal have warned their staff that salaries for December will be delayed by several weeks, with the UN-backed court currently out of money and short on funding for the next year.
The court, which has a Cambodian side and an international side, has been struggling with financing for several years, as an atrocity crimes trial of three Khmer Rouge leaders, only the second case before the court, continues.
The Cambodian side needs about $9.5 million to operate in 2013.
So far the Cambodian side has one pledge, from Germany, of $700,000. “Unlike previous years, the national side has received no new funding pledges from donor countries for 2013,” a statement from the tribunal said.
“There will be a lack of cash flow to pay the national staff, ranging from drivers to prosecutors and judges,” Kranh Tony, acting head of the tribunal, said in a staff meeting on Friday, according to the statement.