Victims who wish to file as civil parties in an upcoming trial for four leaders of the Khmer Rouge have until December, a tribunal official said Monday.
“Those who wish to submit an application as a civil party should do it now through December,” Neou Kassie, head of the UN-backed court’s Victims Unit, told “Hello VOA.” “After that, it’s impossible.”
The tribunal is wrapping up its trial of Kaing Kek Iev, or Duch, and is now preparing for its second case, which would try together Nuon Chea, Khieu Samphan, Ieng Sary and Ieng Thirith.
“It’s essential, because it’s your right,” he said. “And you can also help the effectiveness of the court, as you all have good information for the court, with a strong argument to charge the suspects.”
The Victims Unit has so far received 4,461 complaints and expects another 2,000 from non-governmental agencies. Duch’s case saw only 91 complaints.
Victims can file complaints without charge, Neou Kassie said, and if there are enough villagers in a province, between 20 or 30, offiicials from the unit are willing to visit them about the possibilities for filing.