The Khmer Rouge tribunal has renewed legal procedures over funds, compensation, complaints, and more, as the courts move toward their first trial next year, a top official said Monday.
“The tribunal needs $5.4 million from March to the end of 2009 for the Cambodian side, but for the UN side, we can’t say how much,” said Hem Krainh Tony, acting administration director for the courts, as a guest on “Hello VOA.” “We know it’s greater.”
“For compensation in some international courts, they have specific funds…but in Cambodia, there is just cooperative compensation,” he said, adding that Cambodia has the only court in which the victim can act as civil party and prosecutor.
The tribunal will also likely be able to start its first trial, of jailed Khmer Rouge prison chief Duch, in March 2009, he said.
Tribunal spokesman Reach Sambath, who also joined “Hello VOA” Monday, said the courts’ Victims Unit has so far received more than 2,000 complaints.
“No matter whether you in Cambodia or anywhere in the world, you can file a complaint,” he said.