Accessibility links

Breaking News

A Four-Year Old Girl Dies of Eating Wild Beans

Four-year old Nuon Kunthea died after eating poisonous wild beans due to hunger and poverty.

Her grandmother with 7 dependents of her own babysits her. She told VOA stringer that her granddaughter and her children went out to look for food.

The family is too poor to take her to the hospital where she might have survived if treated.

Her hut is only five kilometers away from the sprawling estate of Prime Minister Hun Sen in Ta Khmau, a suburb of the capital Phnom Penh.

The grandmother went out to buy some rice to cook for the family.

The girl's parents cannot be reached for comment because they went out to work.