Accessibility links

US Opens Bidding for $2M Eastern Cambodia Demining Survey


FILE PHOTO - Journalists take photographs of a bomb pulled from the murky depths of the Mekong River, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

The announcement came just days after China provided Cambodia with donations to aid its demining efforts.

The U.S. Embassy on Wednesday opened a tender for a $2 million survey of landmines and unexploded ordnance in eastern Cambodia.

The announcement came just days after China provided Cambodia with donations to aid its demining efforts.

According to the notice, the winning bidder or bidders will use state-of-the-art techniques to clear areas of eastern Cambodia so they can be made safe for farming, road-building, trade, and housing.

“The United States has supported humanitarian demining in Cambodia for over 20 years and is committed to addressing our war-time legacy. This new tender is a continuation of those commitments as it will further aid in the cleanup of the remnants of war,” U.S. Ambassador William Heidt was quoted as saying in a press release.

“We are looking for the best national and international experts to help remove unexploded ordnance in the east of Cambodia.”

Earlier in the month, the United States said it would end its support to the Cambodian Mine Action Center (CMAC) this year after tensions rose between Prime Minister Hun Sen and Washington over accusations the U.S. backed the country’s main opposition in an alleged plot to overthrow the government.

Heng Ratana, CMAC deputy director, could not be reached, but he has previously said that the withdrawal of U.S. aid would threaten the organization’s work.

XS
SM
MD
LG