The death toll in the Kep Building collapsed increased to 36 overnight, while officials said the number of injured pulled out from the debris is now at 23.
The under-construction building in the coastal province of Kep collapsed Friday afternoon and rescue operations have been ongoing. The rescue team and local officials confirmed Sunday morning that 36 people had died in the incident, an increase from the seven deaths reported Saturday evening.
However, around 8a.m. Sunday morning, a woman was pulled out of the debris alive after being trapped for close to 40 hours. All the injured are being treated at local hospitals and clinics.
Authorities believe that some people may still be trapped under the debris and said they are hoping to finish the operation by late Sunday.
The incident follows a similar building collapse in Preah Sihanouk province’s Sihanoukville town last year, killing 28 people. At the time, the building was said to have not met the requisite construction quality requirements.
Authorities have also indicated that the construction quality at the Kep building was not up to standard and have arrested the building’s two owners.