A Chinese man infected by the novel coronavirus in Preah Sihanouk province last month has made a fully recovery after being treated and kept under observation for two weeks, according to Health Ministry statement released on Monday.
The statement wrote that Jia Jianhau, the 60-year-old Chinese national, tested negative for the coronavirus for the third time on February 9. The Pasteur Institute in Cambodia also tested his family, none of whom have tested positive for the viral pneumonia so far.
Health Minister Mam Bunheng, Environment Minister Say Sam Al and WHO representative Ly Ailan visited the man on Monday as he was discharged from hospital.
Ly Sovann, Health Ministry spokesman, told VOA Khmer on Monday that the man was allowed to leave Preah Sihanouk Referral Hospital and that the family was free to move around the country.
“We tested him negative for the third time by Pasteur Institute,” he said.
Ly Sovann added that the Health Ministry will continue to track the situation and monitor for further infections.
Jia Jianhua was tested positive for the novel coronavirus on January 27, after entering the country from Wuhan, China, through Sihanoukville on January 23. Wuhan is the epicenter of the viral outbreak in China and is currently under quarantine to prevent further spread the virus.
As of Monday afternoon, the death toll had crossed 900, with the total number of infections in China crossing 40,000. The virus has been declared a global health emergency and has spread to 30 other countries.