Khmer Rouge

Tribunal Seeks To Explain Salary Woes to Staff

Police officers line up to attend a hearing of former Khmer Rouge leaders at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC), on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, file photo. Police officers line up to attend a hearing of former Khmer Rouge leaders at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC), on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, file photo.
x
Police officers line up to attend a hearing of former Khmer Rouge leaders at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC), on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, file photo.
Police officers line up to attend a hearing of former Khmer Rouge leaders at the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC), on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, file photo.
Kong SothanarithVOA Khmer
PHNOM PENH - The administration of the UN-backed Khmer Rouge tribunal issued a letter to disgruntled Cambodian staff on Wednesday, seeking to explain why they had not been paid for December and to avert a walkout later this week.

Nearly 100 of 300 Cambodian staff members are still upset by their lack of salaries and have said they will walk off the job at the end of the month if they are not paid.

The threat comes as the court attempts to try three Khmer Rouge leaders—Nuon Chea, Khieu Samphan and Ieng Sary—for atrocities committed by the regime under their leadership. It is only the second case the tribunal has put to trial, despite its establishment in 2006 and an expenditure of some $150 million.

But court officials say they have received no new pledges for donors that would help them pay the salaries, and what money has come so far is only enough for water, electricity and the Victims Support Section.

That money has come from a German pledge and the Cambodian government, for a total of only $2.5 million of the estimated $9.3 million needed by the Cambodian side of the hybrid court for the rest of the year.

Tribunal spokesman Neth Pheaktra said administrators were trying to calm down staff members, but that the arrival date of any new funding is not known.

“We don’t know how long it will take,” he said.

Last week, Cabinet Minister Sok An, who oversees the tribunal for the government, met with Australian and Japanese diplomats, seeking more funding. None was immediately forthcoming.
Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Land Victim Lawyer Seeks US Support on ICC Casei
X
21 January 2015
A petition filed at the International Criminal Court in October 2014 alleged that a group of politicians, security chiefs and business magnates in Cambodia have involved in systematic illegal seizures of land from poor people. They committed various crimes as part of their campaign, which included murder, forcible transfer of populations, illegal imprisonment, persecution, and other inhumane acts, according to Richard Rogers of Global Diligence. VOA Khmer Men Kimseng interviewed Richard Rogers while he was in Washington DC last week to seek international support and explain to Cambodian diaspora community in the US about the case.

English with Mani & Mori

No records found for this widget:5592

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
See more >>>