Economy

Sesan River Dam Approved in Assembly

In this Oct. 6, 2012 photo, local workers adjust stones at another dam construction site by China National Heavy Machinery Corporation on the Tatay River in Koh Kong province, some 210 kilometers (130 miles) west of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.In this Oct. 6, 2012 photo, local workers adjust stones at another dam construction site by China National Heavy Machinery Corporation on the Tatay River in Koh Kong province, some 210 kilometers (130 miles) west of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
x
In this Oct. 6, 2012 photo, local workers adjust stones at another dam construction site by China National Heavy Machinery Corporation on the Tatay River in Koh Kong province, some 210 kilometers (130 miles) west of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
In this Oct. 6, 2012 photo, local workers adjust stones at another dam construction site by China National Heavy Machinery Corporation on the Tatay River in Koh Kong province, some 210 kilometers (130 miles) west of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
The National Assembly has approved the construction of a hydroelectric dam on the Sesan River, renewing concerns of villagers who will be displaced by the dam and of activists who say it will disrupt important fish migrations.

Some 5,000 people will have to be moved once the 8-kilometer dam is built. In the National Assembly last week, opposition lawmakers said they wanted the construction of the Lower Sesan II Dam postponed while more impact assessments are made and while villagers are properly helped in their relocation.

In a Feb. 15 vote, 82 to 8, the Assembly agreed on the law authorizing the government to pay the Hydropower Lower Sesan II Company for construction of the dam. The proposed 400-megawatt dam, to be built 20 kilometers from the provincial capital of Stung Treng province, will see construction begin later this year and will cost $782 million. The Hydropower Lower Sesan II Company is a joint venture between the Royal Group and Chinese and Vietnamese firms.

However, in the session, Sam Rainsy Party lawmaker Nhem Sovann said the law should not be adopted “until there is a comprehensive study and the participation of the local community.”

Minister of Industry, Mines and Energy Suy Sem responded to the Assembly, saying an impact study has already been undertaken and that the dam would provide social and economic value at minimal cost. Civil society organizations and the opposition dispute this.

According to a 2009 environmental impact assessment, the dam’s reservoir will submerge hundreds of thousands of hectares of forest and agricultural land, displacing around 5,000 people from seven villages. Critics say it could endanger species of fish that migrant along the Sesan River.

Three separate organizations—the NGO Forum, the Culture and Environment Preservation Association and the 3S Rivers Protection Network—said in a joint statement that the law only recognizes six villages and around 800 families, versus the findings of the impact assessment. The NGO Forum says more than 1,300 families will be affected by the dam.

Chhit Sam Ath, executive director of the NGO Forum, told reporters on the sideline of the Assembly session that the law was not drafted with full consultation of local communities. He also said some statistics provided in the draft do not fully recognize the 2009 assessment. “So wider participation and transparency of the law are limited,” he said.

While the law was being passed, 12 representatives from the local communities around the proposed dam site arrived in Phnom Penh to submit a letter to the Chinese Embassy and the National Assembly, requesting the dam’s construction be postponed, or canceled altogether.

“And [we] requested other power alternatives besides building dams on tributaries,” said Nen Sukit, a representative of the communities, which came from Ratanakkiri and Stung Treng provinces.

So far, there has been no response to the letter.
Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Land Victim Lawyer Seeks US Support on ICC Casei
X
21 January 2015
A petition filed at the International Criminal Court in October 2014 alleged that a group of politicians, security chiefs and business magnates in Cambodia have involved in systematic illegal seizures of land from poor people. They committed various crimes as part of their campaign, which included murder, forcible transfer of populations, illegal imprisonment, persecution, and other inhumane acts, according to Richard Rogers of Global Diligence. VOA Khmer Men Kimseng interviewed Richard Rogers while he was in Washington DC last week to seek international support and explain to Cambodian diaspora community in the US about the case.

English with Mani & Mori

No records found for this widget:5592

Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
See more >>>