Archive

Court Begins Reparations Campaign

Former Khmer Rouge S-21 prison chief Kaing Guek Eav alias Duch (C) greets the court during his appeal hearing at the Court Room of the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) on the outskirts of Phnom Penh February 3, 2012. The United Nati
Former Khmer Rouge S-21 prison chief Kaing Guek Eav alias Duch (C) greets the court during his appeal hearing at the Court Room of the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) on the outskirts of Phnom Penh February 3, 2012. The United Nati
TEXT SIZE - +
Kong SothanarithVOA Khmer

The Khmer Rouge tribunal has launched a campaign to raise public awareness of reparations it brings to victims of the infamous S-21 prison in central Phnom Penh.

The court has put together a document collecting a series of confessions and apologies made by the prison’s director, Kaing Guek Eav, alias Duch, during the UN-assisted court’s legal proceedings

“It is crucial to show Duch’s confession and responsibility to the victims,” said Neth Pheaktra, a spokesman for the court.

The supreme chamber of the Khmer Rouge tribunal has sentenced the 69-year-old prison director to life in jail and ordered a publication of the verdict and his apology as part of reparation.

The conclusion of the case marks the first final verdict the court has made during six years of work.

Three other top leaders - chief ideologue Noun Chea, former head of state Khieu Samphan, and foreign minister Ieng Sary - are on trial in a separate case. None of them has acknowledged responsibility for atrocities committed during the Khmer Rouge’s 1975-79 rule of Cambodia. An estimated 1.7 million people died during the period from starvation, disease, execution and overwork.

The 27-page document released by the tribunal shows Duch expressing remorse.

“I acknowledge the responsibility, especially, torture and the killing,” said the document referring to confession Duch made during his first trial in early 2009. The document is now available online on the court website.

Before the final verdict earlier this month, Duch originally had been sentenced to 35 years in prison by the Trial Chamber, and he was slated to serve about 19 years behind bars.

“His apology was just a small part of justice,” said Bou Meng, one of the few survivors of S-21.

However, Bou Meng said he is satisfied with the life sentence.

Chum Mey, another survivor, said few Cambodians have access to the Internet and that most victims will not have access to the tribunal’s new public document.

The court says it will increase its national outreach through more public screenings of the court’s proceedings.

Im Sophea, head of coordination of Victims Support Section, said the court is printing 10,000 copies of Duch’s confession and apologies to distribute locally and abroad.

This forum has been closed.
Comments
     
There are no comments in this forum. Be first and add one
Your JavaScript is turned off or you have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.
Cambodia's Angkor Wat Joins Google's List of Online Tourist Sitesi
X
24 April 2014
Cambodian's ancient Angkor Wat has become the latest historical site to be digitally mapped by Google for armchair tourists to visit online. The site, which comprises hundreds of temples dating back to the 9th century joins the Taj Mahal and the Grand Canyon in Google's collection of iconic global destination. (Reuters)