New hearings are scheduled for Jan. 8, as the court attempts to break the boycott and bring Khieu Samphan back into the process.
The tribunal’s international investigating judge is examining more than 10 crime sites for Case 003 and some 55 crime scenarios for Case 004.
Defense lawyer Kong Sam Onn told VOA Khmer his client had met with court officials from the Defense Support Section and told them “that his stance is not changed.”
The second and final phase of the trial against Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea are widely viewed as the court’s most important case.
Prime Minister Hun Sen met with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on the sideline of an Asean summit in Myanmar this wee, where they briefly discussed the Khmer Rouge tribunal.
Sleuk Rith will be the only institute in Asia dedicated to the study of genocide.
Nuon Chea’s current defense team has been boycotting hearings against him since last week.
The tribunal is in the midst of starting the second and final phase of a trial of Nuon Chea, the regime’s chief ideologue, and Khieu Samphan, its nominal head of state.
In a statement, the court said the defense had “abandoned the courtroom” during a hearing last week, and it ordered them to appear at a trial management meeting on Tuesday.
Nhem Boraden said that while it could be called a failed state, and one without a civilian structure, the Khmer Rouge regime had all the elements of a modern military.
More meetings are to be held this week, leading up to another hearing session on Oct. 27.
Defense lawyers for Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan boycotted an opening hearing for the two men on Friday, leaving the courtroom and putting the second and final phase of the trial for the two men in limbo.
The trial of two former Khmer Rouge leaders resumed on Friday. They were accused of genocide. Nuon Chea, 88 and Khieu Saphan, 83, were convicted in August on charges of crimes against humanity and sentenced to life in prison.
It remains unclear what will happen next with the hearing, which was to begin a trial of atrocity crimes for the two men, including, for the first time, genocide.
There was no discussion of a lack of movement on two cases—Nos. 003 and 004—at the court, nor a discussion of at least one potential defendant’s refusal to answer a court summons.
Cambodian and UN officials say they still need more funding to continue the work of the Khmer Rouge tribunal, despite waning interest from some donors.
The complaint accuses Nil Nonn, head of the Trial Chamber, French judge Jean-Marc Lavergne, and three other judges of “bias” and requests they be disqualified.
The hearings will open Oct. 17 in what is the tribunal’s most important trial to date.
Cambodian Foreign Minister Hor Namhong is slated to deliver a speech to the UN’s General Assembly on Monday in New York.
The donation includes 144 film slides, one audiocassette, and 1,220 digitalized photos.
Filloux spent years working with victims of the Khmer Rouge genocide in Cambodia.
The date will mark the beginning of the second and final phase of the trial against Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, which was broken into two parts for expediency.
Such ceremonies—once banned by the Khmer Rouge—are allowed under the internal rules of the UN-backed court.
The announcement from the court moves it a step closer to the second phase of the trial against the two men, in the court’s most prominent trial to date.
Many younger Cambodians do not know what happened during the Khmer Rouge.
Both leaders on trial will face charges related to the treatment of the Chams, as well as Vietnamese, when their trial begins in full later this year.
Many Cambodians felt the court’s slow pace and limited scope were not bringing them a sense of justice.
The Documentation Center of Cambodia, a key research facility for the atrocity crimes of the Khmer Rouge, plans to start building a genocide institute that will be the first of its kind in Asia.
Nuon Chea is on trial alongside Khieu Samphan, another regime leader, for atrocity crimes.
Nearly half a million Cambodians fled the regime to live in the United States, leaving behind family members who were killed.
Scot Marciel, the top diplomat for Asia and Pacific at the US State Department, said the tribunal can serve as an example to Cambodians and the world.
Observers say they are hopeful the case will reveal more truths about the movement and provide some sense of justice for victims.
A researcher says interviews with many everyday Cambodians shows a desire to hear confessions from two former leaders.
Im Chaem, 68, is accused of atrocity crimes for her role in purges of Khmer Rogue cadre and for running a detention center where tens of thousands of people died.
The fact that only three leaders have faced trial since 2006 means the court is failing to bring justice to the victims of the brutal regime.
Im Chaem has said in the past she does not consider herself guilty of atrocity crimes, and she recently told local media she will not go to the court if summoned.
Im Chaem, 68, is among a small group of suspects that could be indicted in two more cases at the tribunal.
A United Nations-backed war crimes tribunal in Cambodia has handed down long awaited guilty verdicts against two aging leaders of the Khmer Rouge regime.